Our specialist Employment Law team advise leading Australian and international companies, employers and government agencies on a range of employment issues, resolution strategies and workplace matters. Our advice is commercially astute and practical.
Our specialist areas of practice include:
- Workplace policies and procedures
- Employment contracts
- Award and Enterprise Agreement compliance
- Grievance/complaint investigations
- Unfair dismissal
- General protections/adverse action
Extensive Legal and Commercial Experience
Because we act exclusively for employers, our advice is always expressed in commercial terms, setting out clear and practical strategies. We have undertaken a range of work for employer clients, including:
- Acting on behalf of employers in defending unfair dismissal proceedings before the Fair Work Commission, discrimination claims before various State and Federal tribunals and general protections/adverse action claims under the Fair Work Act 2009
- Drafting employment agreements and contracts
- Advising on performance management and disciplinary action
- Advising on post-employment restraints
- Providing strategic advice on termination of employment
- Advising on the transfer of business and redundancy matters
- Advising on compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 in respect of dealing with “employee records”
- Advising on dealing with ill or injured employees
Integrated Expertise: Employment Law & Workers Compensation
Our lawyers possess distinctive expertise in the Australian market, spanning both employment law and workers compensation – meaning we can advise employers dealing with injured workers on how to effectively manage their legal obligations in both areas. Our workers compensation expertise also means we are regularly engaged by employers to advise on exit strategies for long-term injured workers – particularly for potential claims relating to disability discrimination, adverse action or unfair dismissal.
Workplace and Human Resources Expertise
We regularly advise general and HR management on structuring, negotiating and drafting employment and labour contracts, providing compliance advice in relation to benefit and compensation plans, and strategic advice on HR-related statutes and labour issues arising from acquisitions and restructuring.